15/04/2010

Definitely an interesting day, set of this morning to Havant to collect some Pharmaceutical stuff. Had to be there by 11:00 at the latest so when i arrived just after 9am I thought that a breakfast in the canteen would be just the ticket. Must admit that the price was just right £1.35 for a Full English, just as I’m tucking into the bacon the phone rings. The office, the collection is cancelled due to the Ash in the sky and the pharmaceuticals were supposed to be on a plane later on. Easy day I’m beginning to think, finish the breakfast and drive back, then the bombshell. Can you go to Basingstoke and collect some books, no probs. I arrive at the destination and the backdoor man explains where I have to go and load up. If I said that the slip road was tight then I would be making an understatement. Keep one eye on the offside to make sure the trailer doesn't bash any cars and the other eye on the end of the trailer as not to take out a post as it swings round behind the unit.

Drive down this alley between parked cars on one side and a fence on the other side. Can't move even half an inch either side as if I did something would be crunched. Back onto the bay and load up. The forklift delivers 36 pallets of books each weighing between half and three quarters of a tonne. This is a huge load, a few are double stacked and off we go at a snails crawl. Arrive in Ashford and hope for a speedy unload, yeah right, 2.5 hours it took those chaps to unload me. They kept disappearing somewhere and then there was the shift change and so on. Finally at 17:30 I’m all set to go back to the yard, park up and go home, another long day and now home for some well earned nosh.

No comments: