09/11/2010

Why me, today as the awful morning began with all that rain and wind I was making my way to Eastleigh. Two simple drops but nothing is as simple as it seems. The first delivery was supposed to be quick but I had to wait in the yard till they unloaded a container and had their break. At the same time the water level in the yard was rising fast and when I got out of the cab I stepped into almost a foot of water, towards the end of the trailer it was even deeper. Need a set of flippers or a canoe to get to the trailer doors I thought as the rain soaked me. Unloaded and on my way, then the second drop. A farm with streams of water flowing freely down the slope, oh joy lets get wet again. Back to the yard and guess what a second run, seemed easy but the first drop was a nono, can you bring it back tomorrow. and then on to the last one, middle of nowhere, if all the bridges were a decent height it would be OK but as they are not I decided to turn in a different direction, why?, I don't know. Turnaround and head in the right direction and squeeze through a few small villages to deliver the load. Finally got back in the yard at 14:30, what a day, need a drink

A closer look at the picture will show you the water level.

No comments: