23/05/2010

Bit of seriously posh work, or so I thought. Had to go to Guildhall in London to do a bit of work but as usual with this company nothing is as simple as its supposed to be. They have been catering to a SuperYaht Awards Ceremony. I've been retained as a driver so the usual things associated apply. Turns up yesterday just before midnight and a surprise is sprung. Could you go and cover up and stack the chairs, collect the plates, napkins and cutlery. 'You what?', sorry mate the job entails a driver and I’ll do just that, not been told of anything else so unfortunately I can't be a general dogsbody. We can't load the lorry till 2am as that’s when all this finishes, was the reply. So I waited, along the time I went and checked out where the lorry is and low and behold an artic pulls up and I'm told that we've got to load that first and then my lorry will be loaded.

What the hell, can't sit around and watch so i gave a hand, 500 bleeding chairs along with thousands of cutlery and glasses. My legs felt and still do feel like lead. Loaded the artic and then started to load mine. Managed to leave just before 5am and get back to Hampton before 6am. Its amazing how busy London is at 6am on a Sunday, went past Charing Cross and a club must have closed, loads of scantilly clad ladies walking home. Home and feeling like death warmed up. Won't be doing anything like this in a hurry.

No comments: