22/09/2009

Assessment or Driving Test


That is the question. I would put it as a Test since what has to be done is almost like the DSA Test.

The lorry was a brand new Volvo 08 plate fully auto with some nice features, one being the assisted uphill start. This device locks up all brakes when you come to a full stop and then it gives you 4 seconds from when you remove your foot from the brake pedal to press the accelerator. Nice and smooth start with no pressure on the clutch and you don't even have to apply the hand brake.
  • Vehicle checks, as you've not driven the vehicle before. This includes the trailer as its already coupled up.
  • Instruments check inside the cab to make sure all is OK
  • Drive around the site to familiarise yourself with the vehicle.
  • Reverse onto a bay.
  • Drive through Basingstoke for 45-50 minutes.
  • Reverse onto a bay.
What I screwed up on was the reverse onto the bay. It was very tight and I didn't give myself enough room/angle to get the trailer into the space provided and having a brick wall on one side made things interesting. To make things more interesting the assessor placed a cone to simulate another trailer being there. I inadvertently pushed the cone back a bit, which would have meant clipping a trailer.
Now I know where to position the tractor unit and how to manoeuvre the trailer to get in the bay. On the good side I have been invited to 'have another go'.
The assessor was pleased with all the other attributes and I recon I'll do it next time, now that I know where to position myself.
So now I have to wait and see when I can get the retest slot.

No comments: