02/12/2010

Oh Snowy Day

What a perfect day, 4in of snow in the yard and the snow coming down like buggery. Had to wait till the management came in for a decision to be made. Then I was told to do my run backwards, start in Eastbourne and work your way back to Billingshurst. Now that is a part of the country where the snow just happened to be the thickest. So down the A3, M25 and the M23 I go, the first two were crawl able but when I got to the M23 it just became impossible to drive. Took 2 hours to get to Peas Pottage Services and then the lorry park was inaccessible, parked up on the slip road (like others) and went to ask about the road conditions down to Brighton & Eastbourne.

I was duly informed that the road is seriously snowed under and in no way would I get up the hill to the A27 and of course the down hill stretches would be fun. Called in and was asked to deliver to Horsham, so off I crawled. The roads were horrendous, got stuck on one uphill stretch and a kind soul in a supped up 4x4 helped me out. The customer was closed so after trying to turn a few times I had no choice but to reverse to the roundabout which was about a quarter of a mile back.

Back to the depot at a crawl till I reached the M25, then a huge speed increase to almost 50mph. It will be interesting tomorrow when all this stuff freezes over as I'm supposed to be down there again.














1.) The M23
2.) Peaspottage Services slip Road
3.) The A264

No comments: