14/10/2010

Ah the perils of thinking that you can reroute the drops and get them all done before things go pear shaped. Had a delivery to a client who normally opens up at 8am but before that thother client opens at 6am and then others in the wild hills of Hampshire. So off i go and do the 6am delivery and thing that I should do the Hampshire drops before heading to Bracknell, think again, as i complete a drop in the Basingstoke area to which a small transit van would suffice due to the road being more of a track the phone rings. Can you reroute to Bracknell and then swing by the yard to collect 2 more pallets for your Basingstoke delivery. Oh sugar, so much for my idea. Down to Bracknell and then back to the yard, on to a break and then I'm told that an 'extra' delivery has been added. That will teach me for trying to be a smart alec. Done and dusted by 3pm instead of 1:30pm.

This one drop in the wilds of Hampshire had me wondering what I was doing there, off the A339 and turned into this side road. Instantly I thought 'should I be here'. Luck was in, the delivery slot was about 200yds from the main road but there was no hope in hell of turning into the yard. Stopped alongside the road and carried the stuff to the lockup. Then the fun began, no chance of turning around or backing in so the only option left. Reverse onto the A339, slow casual reverse and after managing to press gang a driver to stop the traffic i reversed and turned around. Not something i would want to repeat again.

No comments: