19/06/2010

My first and hopefully not last day at one of the upmarket supermarket RDC, not a million miles from home, had to go to Dorchester to drop of the goods. First unit at the yard was broken due to one of the tyres being slightly bald, a second one was delivered and off we go. Started to pull away and for a second or two thought that I'd left the trailer brake on, the thing just wasn't moving. Started to wonder what in the gods name was loaded in the trailer as I very slowly rolled along, to add to it all I had a '04 Plate Manual unit. Once it got going it got going but trying to get up a few of the hills along the way was an experience, felt like I was going to have to get out and push.

Once I got to the destination and what a lovely town it is I had to do some creative reversing. Blind side on and yank the trailer at an angle I never thought possible. The bay is on a uphill slope which I don’t think I’d like to attempt to reverse into when it’s wet or icy. Leave the unit at 45 degrees and unload the stuff. Then a slightly more speedy return as there wasn't much weight left, few empties but nothing like it was going down. Trying to get out of the town was a bit interesting, some prat parked just of the T Junction and left the car there. Must have some connections in high places to park on double yellow lines and about 20 feet from a junction. If it weren’t for one considerate car driver backing down and mounting the pavement I'd still be there, tight streets and just didn't want to do any damage (not on my first day).

Honestly speaking I enjoyed today, something different and it went better than I had hoped.

No comments: