23/03/2010

Essex and Back

Tilbury and Canvey Island today, but it almost didn't happen. Turned up this morning and the guy in the yard looked a bit surprised. The Artic driver came and went at 06:30 are you sure you're supposed to be here. Then he gets on the blower to his boss and informs him that I’m there so I contact my lot to see what is going on, 'hang on and we'll call you right back'. Sat about for almost an hour thinking that I could be in bed as the agency told me that I'd get paid anyway, as there seems to be something afoot. Then I'm asked if i would do a 18T job as the driver that is supposed to be there called in sick. No probs, details (sketchy) were passed on, keys and fuel card in my hands and off I go. Collected 20+ cages full of goods for Co-Op and the first drop is in Tilbury, bloody hell its a small place (apart from the docks). Signs are not that good either as a sign by a roundabout told me that I can't go where I need to as it's a 7.5T only, but I saw artics coming down that road. What the hell lets go, I thought could always play ignorant if the need arises. First lot done without any hassle and then to Canvey Island, some places are just unreal to deliver to. Had to offload 2 cages at a time and the manager then shipped them upstairs, that took almost an hour.

Bloody hell I'm going to get stuck in the traffic on the M25 if I don't get a move on. This being my first day back to work after being of with the Flu I was absolutely drenched in sweat after finishing this last job, gulped down a bottle of water like there was no tomorrow. Back home in amazingly good time and I think that a pint is well deserved.

No comments: