14/08/2009

Croydon and Beyond


Had a call from my usual agency yesterday @ 2pm, could you be in Iver by 3pm was the usual question. To be honest I'm getting used to these last minute jobs.

Arriving in Iver a Merc Actros 2544 was awaiting me by the warehouse. Have to admit that I'm not that impressed with the gearbox and the change system. A short jaunt to Croydon and then back home to get ready for work the next day or so I thought. When I arrived in Croydon after negotiating a few almost suicidal bridges I parked up and went to see where I need to go to be loaded.

The chap in the warehouse pointed to some iron gates with a barrier and said 'you need to drive through them and park up by the side of the warehouse'. I thought that he was joking at first as the gates didn't look wide enough but what the hell if others can do it so can I. Creeping forward I hugged the right side of the gates and almost gave the people in the offices a heart attack. Had to get right up to the building before turning to get the back end of the trailer inside, 'tighter than a ducks behind' springs to mind after getting through.

Parked up and waited for another 18T to arrive with their persons to load up all the goods. When they were loading a horrible noise and smell came from the tail lift motor and it stopped. Now this is almost 7pm and we need to do something about this, so they call their boss who in turn takes his time to call out the lift repair guy, who arrives at around 10pm. After closing the tail gate and telling me that the 'motor is almost gone' he writes up the ticket I sign it and I drive very slowly around the building through an opening smaller than a mouse hole and get through the exit gates which are almost the same size as the entrance. Back in Iver @11pm I get the time sheet signed and drive home arriving at midnight, bed and then the bl**dy alarm clock goes off at 3am.

Feel absolutely shagged out and don't even think that I can go and do my daily run. Few other mishaps were encountered whilst waiting for the Tail lift chappie but they'll remain anonymous.

No comments: