18/06/2009

Assessment - Part 1


Finished the assessment, will know either tomorrow or later on today how I did. I don't think that I did badly apart from trying to get round that d##n gearbox and slight bounce off the kerb while looking at the gear lever.

Drove a Volvo FM Euro5 and apart from the gears its a good lorry to drive, very comfortable and the cab and dashboard layout is well positioned. Again a first time with a rear steer wheels, sure made the trailer come round the corners fast.

As we left the paved track and turned on to one of the main road the evaluator took me round and round some roundabouts and than down some smaller streets. Then he took me to one of the sites that they collect from and believe you me the flies were wearing gas masks. But to get into this place I had to negotiate a very sharp and tight right turn over a small bridge covering a drainage ditch. That negotiated safely and driven into the facility I then had to do a blind side reverse into the hook up point.

That would have been completed in 2 shunts but as I didn't get the trailer close to the wall and couldn't swing the tractor unit out as a small building was in the way I had to do a few more shunts. Once in place we went back out again and getting out was even more fun. As the so called road leading to this facility is narrow and there being huge trees either side I had to drive almost to the hedge and then a hard left and watch that trailer. No scrapes and dents and back to the depot.

Reverse in and that was it.

No comments: